Pottermore Role Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

complete freedom in role playing

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
liam snape black moon cynder Ovauzhar Lumina Disney sound dustypaws krystal sherbet Joachim Lulu kerrigan Amythyst
Affiliates
free forum

Ranting thread

Go down 
+9
Wrath'stwinSinXx
RavenHaven
Liria
Cynder Dustypaws
RiverSeth
AmythystDolohov
KurdtLogan
Meredia
Phoenix Flame
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathDolohov

DeathDolohov

Character Stats
Character sheet : 50

Ranting thread - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Russia is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
http://theftmdiaries.wordpress.com
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Gamer Hell= one power outage
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 10:30 pm

So I watched an episode of Deadliest Warrior, which pitted the legendary philosopher and battlefield commander, Sun Tzu, against the bloodthirsty tyrant, Vlad the Impaler.

Little background, I find a lot of inspiration from Sun Tzu. He wrote the ‘Art of War’, quite literally a guidebook on ‘Defeating your enemy in a hundred easy steps’ and a philosophical tome to those who dig deep enough into it. I am one such digger and have embraced its teachings of practicality, efficiency, foreknowledge and strategy. This book still remains relevant to this day and throughout military history, evidence throws itself before us that his teachings were completely right.

But the show did such an injustice to Sun Tzu! How? It completely neglected all of his teachings! They put the sole emphasis on weaponry alone, ignoring critical factors like strategy, which was Sun Tzu’s greatest trump card. As General George S. Patton says, ‘Wars are fought with weapons but won by men.’

Vlad the Impaler, note I'm saying nothing to discredit him as a combatant as his battlefield experience is profound, I don’t think he would hold a candle before Sun Tzu’s genius. In fact, Vlad the Impaler is exactly the sort of opponent that Sun Tzu specializes in defeating!

Thousands of years ago, Sun Tzu led the small forces of Wu against a much larger and greater equipped force. Thanks to his strategies, the Wu forces triumphed. It didn't help either that the general of the opposing force was in many ways very similar to Vlad the Impaler.

Throughout his book, Sun Tzu adamantly warns against impulsive behavior and suggests angering opponents of choleric temper. Both of these epitomize Vlad the Impaler. He was impulsive and easily angered, which were two traits Sun Tzu would know how to exploit.

Furthermore, just because Vlad the Impaler is better armed (as he had a 2000 year advantage over Sun Tzu) doesn't guarantee victory. Sun Tzu was a master of guerrilla warfare, very similar to the Viet Cong in the Vietnam War. He would never go into a head-to-head scrap with an enemy as well prepared as Vlad the Impaler. He'd have spies scope out the enemy, report back to him, and arrange a series of traps and hit-and-run tactics to weaken the enemy and keep him moving as to beat him.

I realize the previous argument is based on the assumption that Sun Tzu is operating as a general. However I imagine his personal fighting style would at least be influenced by this series of tactics. He would find out all he could about Vlad, exploit his weakness and eventually dominate him when conditions were favorable. The greatest advantage Vlad has is his armament and brute force, but that amounts to nothing when the enemy can outmaneuver and outthink you.

Compared to Sun Tzu’s military brilliance, Vlad the Impaler is just a kid with a baseball bat by comparison.

I’m sorry, but Sun Tzu wasn't just some tea sipping scholar like the show made him out to be and it just enraged me that they would do such a disservice to his legacy by suggesting a brute like Vlad the Impaler could oppose him.
Back to top Go down
DeathDolohov

DeathDolohov

Character Stats

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 6:47 pm

That's what the show Deadliest Warrior is all about though. Not so much the person fighting, but the weapons and the techniques that were commonly used when using those weapons. I totally understand your frustration with that, but the show was just staying true to what it is.
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Yeah I guess you have a point. I'm just thinking if you're having two historical figures beating the crap out of each other in their respective primes, you should focus on all the aspects of their fighting styles instead of just weaponry.

In that respect, I'd be perfectly willing to concede Vlad the victor. But I've always believed that a master with a stick could beat a student with a sword. Sun Tzu may not have had the arsenal Vlad did, but he knew how to make the weaponry he did have count.
Back to top Go down
DeathDolohov

DeathDolohov

Character Stats

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 5:29 pm

I think that if they're pitting certain people against each other then they definitely should have put that person's style against the other person's, not the weapons. It's odd that they did actual historical figures instead of just a group of historical people.
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 5:07 am

Yeah, I mean if they were doing common Wu soldiers against Vlad's army, I'd be entirely on the show's side with it's conclusion!
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 12:16 am

So there's going to be a fifth terminator movie!

Guys! Did you not see Terminator 4?! Haven't you done enough?! Even water boarders give their victims a break every once and a while!
Back to top Go down
DeathDolohov

DeathDolohov

Character Stats

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 12:47 am

It's probably going to be just as bad,  if not worse, than the last two. I didn't like 3 either.

BUT WHO'S EXCITED FOR JURASSIC WORLD!? BECAUSE I AM!!!!!
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 1:35 am

Honestly it's been too long since I've seen T3 but I'm inclined to believe your opinion given fan reception.

Me too! I'm curious what's going to happen! I like the idea of the park actually being open. That's something we haven't seen before.
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 5:27 am

http://www.people.com/article/boy-suspended-lord-rings-texas

Okay I know Texas is famous for many stupid things, but... what?
Back to top Go down
RavenHaven

RavenHaven

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 5:47 am

I already have to wake up earlier than I want to in the morning, and then my dad asks me to vacuum the stairs and the kitchen... -_-*  I know it's not THAT big a deal, but I already don't get a lot of sleep given my insomnia a lot of the time... Can't he make my sister do it when she gets home from school?  I'll be at school from 11:00 am  (waking up at 10:00 to leave by 10:30) to fucking 9:00 pm!! I'll be so exhausted! Sad
Back to top Go down
Wrath'stwinSinXx
Admin
Wrath'stwinSinXx

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 8:04 am

Wow, now THAT is just unfair -^- no one deserves that after over TEN hours of school!
Back to top Go down
DeathDolohov

DeathDolohov

Character Stats

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 12:49 pm

I feel ya, Raven. My parents are the same way.

Sometime I just want to point out to them that my average day starts at 5:30 am and goes until 11 pm... I work for 8 or so hours then do adult shit. I'm not going home and doing more chores. I want to relax at home, not work, 'kay? Thanks.

Yeah, I completely understand.
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 9:00 pm

I know this is probably way late, but I must speak my mind. 

Now I'm a hardcore video gamer. I understand that violence is a part of video games and I'm typically against those yuppie parents that say 'it's just mindless violence'. 

I never thought I'd ever find a video game that would make me agree with them about anything. Until I learnt of a game called Hatred.

So the basic premise is you're a psychopath who (shocker) hates the world and want to die violently, and by god it looks like good genocide weather doesn't it? -_- So you go out and gun down everyone in sight. Civilians, cops, what have you. That's it. That's the whole game.

Look, I'm not going to pretend I'm a 'higher-than-thou' type and I know this is far from the first game where civilian death is possible. But to me, this is the most despicable example of it. 

Here's my reasons. One, you're just trying to gain attention. Don't try to pretend to justify it with a higher purpose of mocking 'political correctness' in gaming. It's a shock-and-awe tactic so blatantly transparent that it may as well be a ghost.

Two, it's selfish. In it's attempt to gain attention, you've given credence to critics of video games that create the bullshit that in inspires violent crimes.Now when they say 'Hey video games make crazy people,' they can point their misinformed fingers at Hatred and gain supporters. Good job guys.

Three, usually, I'm of the mind where it's the responsibility of the player to separate fiction from real life. I'm not trying to sound like a hypocrite, but... imagine if this game really did fall into the wrong hands, that guy that couldn't separate fiction from reality? In other video games (like Assassins Creed) there's clear distinctions that separate the game from real life. (I'm sorry but if you jump off a tower into a hay bail, the reaction is going to be : 'AHHHHH!!! I BROKE MY EVERYTHING!) But in Hatred, it's completely realistic. Shit like this COULD happen in real life. Could, can, and probably will. So, just think about that.

I don't know, even I have limits when it comes to gaming, and this just seemed too outrageous to leave alone. In fact, I know I did my point a disservice by even bringing it up, but I just had to.
Back to top Go down
RiverSeth

RiverSeth

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:30 pm

before I start- im kinda sterotyping and i know 'not all men' and everything but im pissed off okay. Also. Im swearing. Yes. Im annoyed.

Fucking men. OKay. Rule one.
Just because I am a girl it does not mean you can say anything to me.NO. okay. I am a flipping HUMAN BEING. as in REAl.
I dont care if you think my hair looks stupid. You know what- the more you hate it the brighter I will dye it. BECAUSE ITS MINE.
You know what? Dont say a word.
AND DONT COMEPLIMENT ME JUST TO CALL ME STUPID.
go to hell.

On the otherside.
I dont care if you are drunk. You do not. DO NOT. say things like 'I want you' to a girl HALF YOUR FUCKING AGE. when she works in a shop.
You dont know her. She doesnt know you.
and you know what/ Its going to terrify her.

yes mr drunk in the shop today. thats at you.

How dare you. I'm working. I do not want you in my space, trying to flirt when your older than my father. I dont want you to try and hug me.
I dont care that there is no man there or no one older IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT.

Thank you for making me scared of being in the place I love jusst because you cant stay sober and cant see boundies. IF YOU ARE LIKE THAT THEN. DONT. DRINK.

ITS NOT HARD.

ughhhhh

i hate humanity
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:43 pm

God dammit.
I apologize on behalf of my gender. We know not what we do. As is evident with how the world is now.
Back to top Go down
RiverSeth

RiverSeth

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:47 pm

thanks junior
but i now its not all men- like, most of my friends are men (and you count as a best friend okay) its just the small ones that put the rest to shame.

im just really annoyed that both of those have happened in two days and im sick of it- becuase bot were men twice my age. its not right and moral and like 

I actually wanted to cry today. I was so scared of this guy.
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:49 pm

I'd just tell your manager or whatever. And if they do nothing, give me a few minutes to buy a plane ticket to America #2, I mean England  king and show them a magic trick...

Me: And for my next trick I will make their balls disappear! 
*BANG BANG!* 
TA-DA!!!!

Last edited by CrouchJunior on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RiverSeth

RiverSeth

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:51 pm

I did. i emailed him the second I locked the door.

but you can come over anyway. just stand threateningly at the back of the shop for me
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:53 pm

-Crazy grin- See why we're friends?
Back to top Go down
RiverSeth

RiverSeth

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Just dnt insult my hair. Very Happy

(I love that I dont care if people call me fat. or anything. No everything fine JUST DONT MENTION THE ORANGE HAIR)
Back to top Go down
CrouchJunior

CrouchJunior

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Besides, orange hair is awesome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RiverSeth

RiverSeth

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:56 pm

I know right.
Back to top Go down
DeathDolohov

DeathDolohov

Character Stats

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 3:19 am

*pops in* I love your hair! It's one of my favorite things about you! Don't ever go to a "normal" orange
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ranting thread   Ranting thread - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ranting thread
Page 22 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next